By MICHAEL KIRBY, Associated PressThe U.S. Department of Justice has decided not to prosecute a Texas driver who killed four people and wounded at least five others in a fiery crash last month, the Justice Department said Wednesday.
Lawyers for the driver, 38-year-old Johnathan L. McElroy, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
McEarls family attorney, James R. Johnson, called the decision a disappointment.
McEllroy has been charged with four counts of felony vehicular homicide.
The accident killed three people, including a 4-yearold boy, and injured four others, including two infants, at a home in the Dallas suburb of Pearland.
McBride, a mother of three, was driving her mother’s 2005 Honda Civic, and McElroys son, a 20-year veteran of the Army.
McFarland, a 32-year Army veteran, was the first to die, and three other men were injured.
Investigators found McElrroy’s SUV had been traveling at more than 60 mph when it crashed.
McRaeys blood-alcohol content was 0.21 percent when he was found unconscious, according to a police report.
A search of McEllroys home turned up a bag of suspected drugs and a gun that police said were legally purchased.
The gun was found inside the vehicle, authorities said.